Re: Need Fast Help: Stuck Removing Tranny

--- Neal Tovsen <sixteen.volt@verizon.net> wrote:
> I've got the front/rear mounts off completely, the driver's side
> mount
> unbolted (can't seem to get the bracket off the tranny due to space).

You won't be able to do this until you lower the driver's side of the
assembly.

> The
> whole transmission seems to be loose, but I can't seem to move it
> more than
> 1/2cm or so away from the engine, and it won't come off. CV joints,
> speedo,
> clutch, ground strap are all off. It seems I got all the bolts, or it
> wouldn't move at all, right?

There is a little sheetmetal plate behind the pass side driveaxle
flange, it's held on by one 11mm and one 10mm bolt.  That *will* hold
you up!

> Also, what is the safest/best way for a driveway mechanic to take
> this thing
> out? Bench press it from below?

Yep.  You're young and strong, should be no prob.  Put a towel on your
chest.

I've got the engine well supported
> from
> below. Except for when trying to remove it, I have the tranny
> supported with
> my floor jack.

DONT support the tranny (via jack) at all unless it's bolted to the
engine!!

> Oh, and does anyone know how to un-stick an inner CV joint from the
> flange?

BFH.  (Big F* Hammer)

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump