Re: Need Fast Help: Stuck Removing Tranny

Neal...I bet you have forgotten a bolt...I did it once, and will never
forget it.

On the passenger side, behind the pass drive flange, there is a very small
piece of the trans sheild that is held in place by one or 2 10 mm
bolts.  Very hard to see..but it won't let you take the trans off cause it
is in the way of the pass drive flange.  Get under there with a light and
you will find it. :-)

Eric

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> OK, I've been working on this all day, and there's thunder in the
> distance....
>
> '88 16v with 2Y transmission.
>
> I've got the front/rear mounts off completely, the driver's side mount
> unbolted (can't seem to get the bracket off the tranny due to space). The
> whole transmission seems to be loose, but I can't seem to move it more than
> 1/2cm or so away from the engine, and it won't come off. CV joints, speedo,
> clutch, ground strap are all off. It seems I got all the bolts, or it
> wouldn't move at all, right?
>
> Also, what is the safest/best way for a driveway mechanic to take this thing
> out? Bench press it from below? I've got the engine well supported from
> below. Except for when trying to remove it, I have the tranny supported with
> my floor jack.
>
> Oh, and does anyone know how to un-stick an inner CV joint from the flange?
> Pass. side came off easily, but I can't get the driver's side to budge. I
> finally gave up and pulled the axle out of the knuckle, so it shouldn't be
> an issue...
>
> Advice appreciated!
> Neal

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox