Re: Help with shifter alignment. Please

Marc Peterson wrote:

> So I was a dumb ass and tried to adjust my shifter last night with only a
> flashlight to see by.  Dumb.  It seemed to work just fine, but after warming
> up on the drive to work today, it just doens't wanna go into first, and
> second is dicey.  I don't have the Bentley here at work, but I do have a
> socket set.  I think all I need to do is loosed the shifter plate bolts and
> slide it a bit to the left.  Does this make sense?  Help me get home
> tonight.
>
> Marc
>
> --

DO NOT Adjust the splines on the end of that long rod unless it is the
last adjustment you need to make.

Consider-

1. The car has not changed much since it was made, that rod to '7'
shaped transfer arm doesn't need changing, it could be all one piece and
you'd be OK.

2. The shifter plate under the shift boot is your 1st place to check
alignment. There are two small holes in the plate, line them up with the
holes in the chassis.

3. Replace your shifter bushings, go to the dealer if you must and cant
wait for a shipment.

4. Make sure your motor mounts are up to snuff and are not collapsed.

Only after you have every thing right would one think to crack the seal
on the splined shaft's end.

TBerk
Fix what's wrong, don't adjust to match the misalignment.