Coolant leak???

Well, my 85 didn't waste any time in reminding me it's a scirocco. I've had
it back for less than 24 hours (after 3 months in storage and 9 at the shop
for the 16v swap) and it apparently has a coolant leak (I think).

Yesterday, while giving rides to all my friends, "Wow, you really DO have a
scirocco. Cool!", I noticed a slight hint of burnt coolant smell. I decided
to pop the hood for a second to check the coolant level and it was okay at
the time, but WTF? #1 spark plug wire has what looks like burned off coolant
around the spark plug tunnel in the head. Pull plug wire... ICK! What looks
like sediment after the coolant is burned off is all over the plug wire. It
was too dark to see into the channel. Since I woke up late for work this
morning, I didn't have a chance to check it out again, but my coolant light
was flashing all the way here (temp gauge read normal whole way).
It had a hard time staying running at idle for the first few minutes, then
idle leveled off and was at 1000-1100 rpm.
So, before I panic just sitting here at work thinking I'm gonna have to find
ANOTHER 16v engine or something, someone please offer a suggestion as to
what this might be. Thanks.

Joshua Hignight
Student Services/Technical Services
New Mexico Campus