Funk on Da list!! (Long)

Hey all!!

Gotta vent here.  Now before I say anything I need to begin with a little
background.  For what it is worth, this is only my opinion based on many
years experience working on VWs professionally and over three years on the
Scirocco List.  So I am not someone just coming out of the woodwork dissin'
everyone.  Also keep in mind that I am married with three kids and one on
the way with a job that almost puts us under the poverty level.  We live
well within our means (cheap!!) and this is my approach to most things in
life including my affection for building fast and nice VWs.  I love
junkyards and generally oppose the big companies selling bolt on mods that
have huge results (remember the Nuespeed throttle body! Almost $300 for
what, an Audi 5000 throttle body with an adapter that makes the TB virtually
useless (but sells good on Ebay!!!), or the SC kit currently a thread on the
list)

Lately I have been a little opinionated and I appologize if I have offended
anyone but at the same time I believe there are some problems that need some
attention.  The list doesn't have to be modified or anything, I am only
hoping to make people think a little before they post to the list.  I know
there are people with similar experience or even more experience than myself
but we have to remember that EVERYONE on the list does not have the same
mindset as the people who work on VWs everyday or have a bunch of
experience.  I guess the reason why things have bothered me more than normal
is that I have seen answers to posts as if they were fact with nothing to
back them up.  I apologize for using this as an example but it is the most
recent:  Someone asked if it was OK to use regualar oil in a motor that had
synthetic in it and the response was "Yes" but only these two kinds.  Not
only is this not true, but it is misleading this individual that has turned
to the Scirocco list for help.  Even worse, the person who responded seems
to have a bunch of experience.  ALL I am asking is that we THINK HARD about
our responses before we post.  In a LOT of cases, we are acting as car
doctors and saying "Yeah, do this and everything will be OK", well what
happens when they do what you tell them and the engine gives (for whatever
reason), are you to be held accountable?

On one little side note, a while back we had a "To Spam or Not To Spam"
conversation/fight/thread on the list.  The end result was "Not" which
everyone seems to be fine with this since this is how the list was started
and wants to stay.  My question: Should people be able to advertise in their
signatures?  Is this spamming?  Just curious!!!

I am NOT trying to start anything but only trying to stop the uneducated
suggestions that I have been seeing more and more of lately.  I realize that
nobody is perfect and mistakes are made (I think I made one once: ) ) but if
we claim to have experience and the list is to be ran professionally (to a
point) then we need to make sure our information is correct.  With the
internet, it is really easy to back up something that you heard the other
day at your friend's house about one header working better than another
header by checking the specs online.  Just make sure that your information
is backed up!!  Plus, for people being advised, make sure that you get other
opinions and do some research of your own.  DON'T go by what a couple people
on a some newsgroup told you what to do on your own car.  Ultimately, the
end user is the one responsible for what they do to their own cars!!!

I hope this helps and I hope this DOESN'T cause a bunch of
flaming/arguing/etc.  I do have to make sure Apologize to Peter for making
him an example.  I value your contribution to the list and am not trying to
make you leave or anything.  I do NOT want you to dislike me for this I just
want the list to keep it's integrity and make sure that the information that
is posted is true and exact not opinionated (unless stated of course) or
unbacked ideas stated as factual.

Dave