Slipping out of gear

Well, it just got cold here. very cold.. :(

So anyways, I'm driving home in the snow, and suddenly my car
drops out of gear. As my hand was on the shifter, I thought I may
have just pulled it out of gear accidentally. Then it happened twice
more before I got home, with my hand nowhere near the stick. I
was in fifth gear all three times.

Do i need a new clutch? I hope not, but I fear it may be so...

And my backup lights dont work... They seem to turn on when I go
into fifth gear, instead of reverse... and they're bright! It kept
blinding people behind me at night, until a friend told me and I
removed the bulbs. Though I try, I'm an amateur mechanic at best,
and I have no idea what could be wrong.
Zack LeGrow
'86 Scirocco 8V - The Red Baron