Re: Slipping out of gear

At 01:49 AM 11/25/01 -0700, Zack LeGrow wrote:
>Well, it just got cold here. very cold.. :(
>
>So anyways, I'm driving home in the snow, and suddenly my car
>drops out of gear. As my hand was on the shifter, I thought I may
>have just pulled it out of gear accidentally. Then it happened twice
>more before I got home, with my hand nowhere near the stick. I
>was in fifth gear all three times.

As you already know, check your fluid level.  This will cure it almost
every time.

>Do i need a new clutch? I hope not, but I fear it may be so...

No, it will start slipping when you do(or just go without warning).

>And my backup lights dont work... They seem to turn on when I go
>into fifth gear, instead of reverse... and they're bright! It kept
>blinding people behind me at night, until a friend told me and I
>removed the bulbs. Though I try, I'm an amateur mechanic at best,
>and I have no idea what could be wrong.
>Zack LeGrow
>'86 Scirocco 8V - The Red Baron

Sounds like a messed up switch.  Easier than pulling the bulbs; unplug the
switch at the transmission.  You can't miss it, because it's the only wiring
going to the transmission.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.