Re: Slipping out of gear

--- Zack LeGrow <zlegrow@home.com> wrote:> drops out of gear....I
> was in fifth gear all three times.
> ...suddenly my car

This is commonly caused by low gear oil.  Drain and refill with Redline
MTL, available from Potterman or Adirondak, among others.  Let's hope
that if you are low on gear oil, you haven't damaged anything.

2 qts Redline: $20 shipped.  17mm allen wrench from Sears, $11.
Staying in 5th...(someone slap me before I say "priceless").

> Do i need a new clutch? I hope not, but I fear it may be so...

No, this has nothing to do with the clutch.

> And my backup lights dont work... They seem to turn on when I go
> into fifth gear, instead of reverse... and they're bright! It kept
> blinding people behind me at night, until a friend told me and I
> removed the bulbs. Though I try, I'm an amateur mechanic at best,
> and I have no idea what could be wrong.

Hmm....I'd check the electrical switch and connector on top of the
tranny.  On your car, it should be a larger multi-pin affair.   Your
car should have an upshift light - does it work correctly?  (In all
gears but 5th)?  Reason is that the same switch feeds it and the
reverse lights.  Anyone know if that switch could be installed
backwards?  I'd check but it's cold and I'm in my jammies right now...

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.