idle kickdown?

On my car ('88 Jetta 16V) it has a problem when
I'm out driving and come to a stop sometimes the
idle will be normal (at 900-1100) but other times
it will be idling at 2100 or so.  I can kick the throttle
sometimes to make it jump down to the right range
but I shouldn't have to.  Is there an idle kickdown
switch or something of the like that could be sticking
and cause me this hassle?  Also, sometimes when I turn
on the a/c the idle won't kick up.  What's up with that?