while i was working on the engine...

while i was working on cleaning up the engine bay, i discovered 2 things that i have questions about.  First of all, to all the 16 valve owners.. i need you to tell me what the white vaccum hose coming from the intake hose right before the throttle body goes to.  Mine is disconnected!! but it was not leaking, it had been plugged.  But i still watn to know what it runs to so i can reconnect it.  Also, i pulled out the new plugs i put in jsut about a week ago.  The car hasnt been driven 10 miles since, and has just idled in the driveway to perform certain tests and keep the battery charged.  Starting at plug #1, (the driver's side of the block..left hand drive...)  the condition of the plugs are...

 soot deposit on injector side of insulator

 light deposit on injector side of insulator

 Same as #2

medium-heavy soot deposit on injector side of insulator

To me, this indicates that there is some problem with the injection system.  The #4 cylinder seems to have the most carbon deposits, in my opinion caused by a dirty fuel injector.  Anybody else have any hypothesis about what the deposits on the injector side of insulator mean?

those who have bothered to read my HELP HELP messages know why i want to know.

Also, the timing belt cover is not completely on.  I am going to ask the previous owner if he has changed the belt or adjusted the timing.

Dan Miller

88 scirocco 1.8l 16v

87 golf GT 1.8l 8v