Re: idle kickdown?

>On my car ('88 Jetta 16V) it has a problem when
>I'm out driving and come to a stop sometimes the
>idle will be normal (at 900-1100) but other times
>it will be idling at 2100 or so.  I can kick the throttle
>sometimes to make it jump down to the right range
>but I shouldn't have to.  Is there an idle kickdown
>switch or something of the like that could be sticking
>and cause me this hassle?  Also, sometimes when I turn
>on the a/c the idle won't kick up.  What's up with that?

Yes, sorta...it's called the idle switch.  You'll find it on
your throttlebody.  It should make a reassuring click when the
throttle is closed all the way (when standing there, quietly
actuating the butterfly).  If it's doing that, it's possible
the switch is bad (not too likely though).  After that, it's
possible that your idle / timing / fuel mixture / vacuum system /
CIS-E brain box isn't quite right...could be any number of things
I recommend getting dirty, read the Bentley manual more.  Check
things, do the tests mentioned in the manual.

Secondly, does the AC even work?  At a certain low charge, the AC
won't even turn on in order to save the compressor...no charge,
no oil = lotsa friction = fried compressor = frozen pulley =
quite a bit of smoke and an alternator that stops turning.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net