Re: GTI vs GTI or Geordy vs VW

You could probably get a better deal on the 1.8T.  I don't think as many
VR6s come thru the dealerships these days, especially in the GTI.  Maybe
that is why they aren't as willing to deal with you on the VR6.  $200
below MSRP is still weak, tho.  Add a zero to the discount and it would
be a good deal.  :-)  I have driven both the new GTI VR6 and 1.8T.  The
new VR6 feels better than the A3 VR6.  It has much better low end pull
to it now and is more enjoyable to drive.  I love the VR6 motor.  It's
so smooth.  They say the only motor that feels smoother is BMW's inline
6s, but I have an inline BMW 6 (although 13 years old) and it doesn't
feel as smooth to me.  I have also driven a friend's 95 325is at about 6
autoxes and it too isn't as smooth as the VR6.  Anyhoo, the 1.8T is an
amazing little motor too.  It pulls like mad at low rpms, strangely
enough.  If you wanted a tuner car, get the 1.8T (with $400, you can get
the Garrett ECU upgrade that brings the power to 190ish).  If you want a
car that you don't have to do much to, the VR6 is great.  Also keep in
mind that we are supposed to be getting the Euro 200+ hp 24V VR6 with
6-speed in a GTI for 2002.  That might be worth waiting for.  I'd be
really surprised to see it make it over here, but you can read about it
on vwvortex.com.

Mike