Re: GTI vs GTI or Geordy vs VW

Geordy Rostad wrote:

> I'm planning to purchase a '01 or '02 GTI as my next car (I think).
> I know a few of you folks out there have driven them.  What are some
> opinions on the VR6 vs. the 1.8T equipped models.  I want to hear it all
> fun factor, performance, value, did I say fun?  Also, reliability and
> buildability...  I called my insurance company and they told me that both
> models would cost the exact same amount to insure so that is not a factor.

I had a '99.5 Mk4 GTI VR6 (GLX) for a year when they first came out, and
a Mk3 '97 GTI VR6 before that.  Personally, the Mk3 was my least favorite
GTI (I've had one new one from each of the 4 generations), and the Mk4
was a big improvement, but still I wasn't crazy about the handling of either
car with the VR6 in the nose, despite suspension & tire tweaks to both
cars.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd go 1.8T in a heartbeat, I
have a 1.8T Passat now, and that motor ROCKS.. and is infinitely more
tuneable for far less $$.

> Next, about actually obtaining one of these, I've been in communication
> with my local VW stealership and they said the lowest price they would
> give me on the VR6 silver GTI that I want was $200 below msrp,
> this sounds like a weak deal to me, I was thinking more along the lines
> of $200 above invoice.

GTI GLX's have been in short supply from day one, and tend to grab
top dollar.. that actually sounds like a decent deal.  However - be aware
that the '02 models will feature the 24-valve V(R)6 motor at 201 hp, vs.
the current 12v, 174 hp model.. so I definitely wouldn't buy an '01
with a 12v VR6.  Also the '02 V6 models will be 6-speeds, while 1.8T's
will be bumped to 170 hp and be 5-speeds.

Confused yet?  ;D

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA