GTI vs GTI or Geordy vs VW

I'm planning to purchase a '01 or '02 GTI as my next car (I think).
I know a few of you folks out there have driven them.  What are some
opinions on the VR6 vs. the 1.8T equipped models.  I want to hear it all
fun factor, performance, value, did I say fun?  Also, reliability and
buildability...  I called my insurance company and they told me that both
models would cost the exact same amount to insure so that is not a factor.

Next, about actually obtaining one of these, I've been in communication
with my local VW stealership and they said the lowest price they would
give me on the VR6 silver GTI that I want was $200 below msrp,
this sounds like a weak deal to me, I was thinking more along the lines
of $200 above invoice.   What it the best deal one of you guys has worked on
one of these?  Is this a typical VW stealership thing?  (meaning the
unwillingness
to negotiate)

Geordy Rostad