Re: engine dropping in/break in q's.

At 12:07 AM -0700 5/1/01, Joe Doty wrote:
>Two questions arise.  88 16v.
>
>Can I bolt up the trans to the engine block and drop it in as a whole?

Yes.  Probably the easier way (well, if you have an engine hoist).
You will have to point the trans quite a bit down-angle to maneuver
it under the frame and into place for mounting; I'd suggest not
filling the trans with Redline until it's in.

>How many miles should I break it in for?  It's a 9A with all new
>rings, bearings, and seals.  Some people told me 300,

That's what I was told; drive it 300 miles fairly gently and then
change the oil.

Jason Cammisa will then advocate beating the living snot out of it
after that breakin period :-)

Don't forget the initial breakin; once you get it running the first
time, let it run about 20 minutes, keeping the idle varying between
2000-3500 RPM to ensure all the new parts seat and get lubricated.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |