RE: Tech Question: 16V passat engine again.

Your cis K-lambda equipped JH will run without an o2 sensor fine, as in
absence of a signal from the o2 sensor the control module will not
modulate the frequency valve (in fact it will run better with no o2 sensor
than it will with a lazy o2 sensor,) resulting in a CIS motor... :)

The Motronic system from the passat and the CIS-E system from the Scirocco
are both a little more complicated and absence of an o2 signal would
likely result in poor running conditions/bad fuel mileage etc.

BTW, if your o2 sensor is rusted into the manifold, you now have a perfect
excuse to ditch the factory boat-anchor and get your self a dual outlet
and TT downpipe (with o2 sensor boss.)  And the best part of it is, you
can claim it's in the best interest of the environment! :)

Drew

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Patrick Bureau wrote:

> I dunno I have been running for  7 years without a o2 sensor connected
> on mine (fused to exaust manifold and never bothered to replace it)
> and it clears texas (read california state) emissions just fine and
> runs fine... and I have a cat.
>    / _ /_  __/ __/  A Texas Scirocco, 1985 8v Titian Red
>   / __ |/ / _\ \    http://longcoeur.com/scirocco/
>  /_/ |_/_/ /___/    (AIM) patricdlc, (ICQ) 3291816

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca