Re: Tech Question: 16V passat engine again.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:20:43 -0700 "Langford, Cory"
<Cory.Langford@icbc.com> writes:

>  One more questions to send out there.
>
>  Can the Ox sensor be "faked".  IE: can I remove the Ox sensor?

No... Not if you want to take advantage of CIS-E Motronic.
The O2 sensor is a necessary evil...

>  Also, will the 4-2 down pipe from an early MK1 fit on a 16V head?

No.

Techtonics sells a race downpipe for the 16V engine, that fits all A1
16V's.
It has two 2" primary pipes that come together back by the gearshift, and
it is basically a larger version of the proven TT A1 8V long downpipe.

> Just thinking of what options I have for exhaust. I have an old
> manifold, and this would save me buying a header for the 16V if I go
that
> route
>
> Thanks again
>
> Cory

If you have a good Scirocco 16V exhaust manifold, the TT race downpipe is
the most cost efficient way to go, (especially if you go through me). You
don't have to use a heated O2 sensor, since the O2 fitting is in the same
spot as the 8V TT downpipe.

Keep in mind that this downpipe sounds right down awful with the
SuperTurbo mufflers or the MagnaBlow.

I have the TT race downpipe on my '79, with a TT SS 2 1/4" exhaust with a
Borls muffler, and it sounds great! It's loud, but it's a good loud...
<G>

2 years ago I used the same downpipe on my '88, w/stock midpipe and a
SuperTurbo, and it was loud and nasty, like a ricer, but 10X louder.

I have a brand new one in my garage, that I can take a pic of if you
like...

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

                                            '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers For Sale, or For Parts: '79 White Champagne Edition, '80 Red,
'84 Black, '88 Red