Re: HELP - Gas tank flushing

"Ewan Hopkins"  wrote:

> My latest acquisition, the '87 GT ( CARBED ) has a problem with major
> amounts of shit in the tank - loks like rust judging by the contents of the
> fuel filter. PO had a bill for tank cleaning within the last year and
> everything else in the circuit has been replaced, so he was obviously
> stuffed on that deal.
> Question is: is it possible to do a reasonable job of flushing the tank
> without removing it? I'm guessing that if the filler neck hose is
> disconnected and the tank is washed out with petrol, through the lifter
> aperture under the rear seat, then the crap should be flushed out of the
> filler inlet. What I don't know is if there are baffles in the tank that are
> going to defeat this approach.

I've had to clean out the tanks on many old Volvos.  Your best bet is
removing the tank and taking it to a radiator shop.  They have a real nasty
caustic solution they soak radiators in that does wonders on gas tanks.
I've never bothered with any kind of coating when I was done and had no
problems.

--
John
'00 Jetta GLS VR6