HELP - Gas tank flushing

My latest acquisition, the '87 GT ( CARBED ) has a problem with major
amounts of shit in the tank - loks like rust judging by the contents of the
fuel filter. PO had a bill for tank cleaning within the last year and
everything else in the circuit has been replaced, so he was obviously
stuffed on that deal.
Question is: is it possible to do a reasonable job of flushing the tank
without removing it? I'm guessing that if the filler neck hose is
disconnected and the tank is washed out with petrol, through the lifter
aperture under the rear seat, then the crap should be flushed out of the
filler inlet. What I don't know is if there are baffles in the tank that are
going to defeat this approach.
Anyone BTDT?

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins...