Re: HELP - Gas tank flushing

The only luck I've had in cleaning tanks is to remove
them and have them professionally derusted, then coat
the insides with a syrupy stuff called Red-Kote.  This
is done by pouring a quart in, taping off all the
openings, and "roll it around the backyard like a
monkey f**king a football" (as the shop owner
instructed me) and draining the excess.  It's worked
on 3 tanks for me.

Now, I've heard of folks using chain, nuts, etc.,
inside the tank to scrub it clean, but that still
required removal.

If you must keep the tank in-situ, you may try to
drain it (several times) to get the major gunk out
(beating on it to loosen some more crud, or stirring
from the opening in the rear seat), then add a big
canister filter before the fuel pump and run that back
to the inlet.  This lets the fuel recirculate and the
filter should trap some more gook.  Frankly, I ain't
optimistic...

Good luck, and post your results please!

Ron
--- Ewan Hopkins <ewanhopkins@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My latest acquisition, the '87 GT ( CARBED ) has a
> problem with major
> amounts of shit in the tank - loks like rust judging
> by the contents of the
> fuel filter. PO had a bill for tank cleaning within
> the last year and
> everything else in the circuit has been replaced, so
> he was obviously
> stuffed on that deal.
> Question is: is it possible to do a reasonable job
> of flushing the tank
> without removing it? I'm guessing that if the filler
> neck hose is
> disconnected and the tank is washed out with petrol,
> through the lifter
> aperture under the rear seat, then the crap should
> be flushed out of the
> filler inlet. What I don't know is if there are
> baffles in the tank that are
> going to defeat this approach.
> Anyone BTDT?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ewan Hopkins...
>
> '85 Storm 2.0
> '86 GT 1.8
> '87 GT 1.6

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

"One....two....one...two...three..."
-Lynyrd Skynyrd