RE: OIL and Filters on a 1.8L

actually the FRAM's sold in store (not at dealership) designed for VW car do
not have (as far as I could tell) the by-pass valve, I have only seen this
in the Bosh/VW ones. as for the oil, Of course if you drive in Canada and
northern states, you will use 10w30/40 in winter.

I also was curious to find out that since the engine changed so radically
since 2000 they no longer supply the new cars with 20w50 but with diesel
15w40 oil in the cars now...

I have to be honest I never heard of Mann or Mahle filters before, and I do
not presume to be an expert in this oil/filter field. I want something I
know will work for my car, its been running WARM (3/4 dial constant, but no
overheating) with 10w40 Semi-syntechtic,. and this weekend I will be putting
20w50 in this baby with a new Bosh Filter from dealership (6$ CDN) and well
see what happens.

I am sometimes overzealous before applying a change on my car, This is my
daily drive and has been for many years, I don't race with it, and I cannot
afford to have it DIE on me, as I need it.

I took in consideration that this car that has over 143K on it, has always
had 10w40 oil in it, (we own the car (wife an I) since 1988... its an 1985
model), I always have lived in Canada and its always been 10w30 winter time
and 10w40 in summer time... but VW states 20w50 in summer time with temps
above 30'C/95F (which I experienced in Texas allot.)

So.. I will see and hope my 15 year old Oil pump does not die on me and
seize my engine.

Tell the tale of that episode of " Rocco and the Frenchman" next week. same
rocco-channel, same rocco-time.

---
Patrick Bureau, 1985 8v Titian Red Scirocco, http://longcoeur.com/scirocco
SCA-Name Lord Patric de Long Coeur, Ansteorra, Steppes Barony,
http://longcoeur.com/
---
Online : (AIM) patricdlc, (ICQ) 32918816, (MSN) patricdlc@hotmail.com