Re: HELP! Oil Seal Carrier Bolt Hole...re-post

Theron Ross wrote:

> At 9:30 pm last night I sent a message to the list regarding my f'd-up oil
> seal carrier bolt hole, but haven't seen any replies to my message, and this
> morning I show no list messages from 8:50 - 10pm, so I'm wondering if anyone
> on the list even saw my message.

Nope, never saw it.

> Basically, while building my block back up I messed up one of the holes on
> the front side of the block that is used for the front oil seal carrier. The
> Bentley says to torque the bolts down to 15 ft-lb, but the bolt wouldn't
> tighten past 10 ft-lb. So I proceeded to damage the threads in the block and
> cause little chips of cast iron to be removed from around the hole becuase I
> stupidly kept trying to tighten the bolt with my torque wrench, thinking
> that eventually it would get to 15 ft-lb.<snip>

I think you should be OK. Oil pressure is high sometimes but if you use
a new gasket for the oil filter mount it should be ok. I got to thinking
you might want to cut out a metal gasket from a piece of tin and place
it against the block with the fiber one on top of it.

TBerk
Torque Wrench? What's that?