[OT] A2 Linkage "was" not Linking - Long

Leave it to me, when I have a problem, I have a good one.

I recently did a clutch job and trans swap on the A2 GLI I'm using as a
daily driver and after hooking it all back up I was cursing the funky
three for four corners motor mount setup (prob how I went wrong, don't
piss off the Gods).

After I got it back on the ground I had trouble getting into 1st gear
and had no reverse at all. :[

I whined, I moaned, I posted for help.

I drove around a day or two and it got slightly better but nothing
obvious, (heh heh). Finally one day after slipping the mount bolts and
re tightening to get things to relax into place I mashed the shifter
over and 'forced' it into reverse- it popped out under load if I didn't
hold the shifter there but it worked. Hmmmm, now 1st is better. Hmmm.

So, I had noticed that the shifter bushings were OK except for the ones
on the large verticle '7' shaft. I went by the dealer to get a new set
and had to visit two becasue the local guy only had one left.

Put them on last night and went to test drive. Better, but still no good
1st or reverse. Grrrr.

But wait- For the 1st time I noticed the lever on the trans (when in
1st) is right up against the brake line. Hmmm, Now I remeber all the
trouble I had getting that 17 mm bolt out of the rear motor mount. I had
bent the brake line to get the 1/2" extension down on the bolt. Man.

All is well again, s much so that I went on a tear around town last
night. Good, good, good -except for the fuel cut out when in Hi G turns.
:)

TBerk