Re: Overwattage bulbs. [The Cammisa Test]

I run 90/100s on both my cars with strict cops all over and have not had a
problem.  If aimed correctly, they appear no brighter to oncoming traffic
as 55/60s do -- so you don't have to worry about it in the least.

FWIW I just relayed my lights in the Mercedes last weekend... was running
90/100s without relays (according to the dealership it would be no
prob).  It wasn't a problem, but I can't believe the difference.

The amazing part is that wiring the Scirocco was 4 Relays, 4x10^3 miles of
wire and 8 hours.
Wiring the Mercedes?  2 Relays, 25 feet of wire, and an hour and a half.

Oh!!  And not to forget my usual anal-retentive endurance tests. :)
I decided I wanted to find out exactly how much wattage these so-called
"90/100W" bulbs were using.  So, I got out the ammeter and check out the
following:

Stock 55/60 Hella Bulbs:
         Low Beam                4.4A  12.45V    =  54.78W
         High Beam               4.7A  12.45V    =  58.51W

LiTech 90/100 Bulbs:
         Low Beam                6.2A    12.45V  =   77.19W
         High Beam               6.6A    12.45V   =   82.17W

So there you have it.  LiTech lies about their wattage.  They're still
brighter than the 55/60s, but not as bright as I want.  Now where the hell
can we find Hella 90/100s or 100/130s??

Jason

At 02:24 AM 1/29/01 , Andre Bjorkheim wrote:
>Sheldon Lesire wrote:
>
> > Okay, a couple questions.  What is the feasibilty of running highly
> overwatt
> > bulbs in Euro lights?
>
>    Sheldon, I have yet to hear of it being a problem on the Mk2 Euros.
>I can't speak for those lenses specifically, but I have run Hella 80/100
>in my 5.75" Hella H4s without a problem.  I even ran my lowbeams
>simultaneously with my highbeams (180w in each lense) until a rock
>nailed my light and whacked my bulb (now down to 55/100 til I get
>brighter bulbs).  I am currently running 100w H1s with no problem, but
>again, not the same lense... only the same manufacturer (assuming you
>have Hella).
>
>Like 130w H3 and 100/55w H4s (because the cops around
> > here are STRICT, I'd better keep a stock low beam as best as I can....).
>
>    With my 80 watt lows, I attracted no attention from the police.  I
>just made sure my cut-off for the light wasnt coming into oncoming
>traffic.  Perhaps the worst part for them would be when the road was wet
>and they would get glare, but screw em.  Just like Bradley said, it
>seems everyone and their grandma has brighter bulbs and being in lowered
>car doesn't help much.
>
> > And yes, they're already relayed (thanks, Shannon!) so spare me that
> > schpiel.  Anyways, if the 130s don't make things too hot, and the 100/55s
> > aren't just a crappy idea, where can I get a nice set of both?  TIA.
>
>    I have gotten my lights through Virtual World but I am sure Adirondak
>would treat you right as well.
>
>   http://www.parts4vws.com
>
>   http://www.germanautoparts.com
>
>BTW, has anyone had experience with "whiter" bulbs besides the PIAA
>"bend over and take it" bulbs.
>
>  Andre'
>  Lime Green 79
>  ICQ #76283458