Re: Pics of my new Toy!

Nice!  Jeff, it's fucking gorgeous!

I just had mine done in October following a small accident.  Neal, you know
my car -- not much in the way of dings or dents, and the paint was still as
close to perfect as 14 years would allow.  But I decided since they'd never
be able to match the paint right, I would have the whole thing
painted.  Most of you have probably seen pics, but the car's still a work
in progress -- I have a few more things up my sleeves.  Muhahahah!

Anyway, mine was repainted by a Jaguar & BMW Dealership.  It's a long story
on how it all happened, but the final estimate for that kind of paint job
was in the $7,000 - $10,000 range.  It included removing the body kit,
glass, trim, bumpers, sunroof, you name it, sanding the whole car down,
filling any dents or dings or anything.  I think it was 2 coats of rust
proof, 2 primer, 5 base and 3 clear?  Whatever it was, it's a lot of
fuckin' paint.

I still have to have the car wet-sanded and buffed -- but it's not leaving
the house until all the salt washes off the roads.

In any case, Neal, remember that no aftermarket paint job will be as good
as the factory paint job.  I've seen very few that even come close -- some
that are as good or better, but it's extremely rare.  I'd say you can
expect to pay about $3000 for a really high-quality paint job assuming you
help with the disassembly.  If not, you'll either wind up with a shitty job
around the kit and stuff, or expect to pay considerably more to have
someone take the car apart for ya.

GL!!

Jason

At 02:10 AM 1/29/01 , Jeffrey W Bynum wrote:
>The paint job ran me $700. Basecoat/clearcoat. I took the car to my
>paintman , he disassembled the car, did what little bodywork it needed
>(very little , maybe 4-5 extremely small door dings), removed the side
>moldings, and painted the car. I reassembled the car, and I am having it
>wetsanded and buffed later this week (this will cost me an additional
>$150). In my neck of the woods, comparable work at a shop could easily run
>double this if not more. My painter has a shop at his house, and has very
>low overhead, and lives in a somewhat rural area. He has been doing
>paintwork for me for several years. He knows the quality of work that I
>expect, and has a good eye for detail, and is very reasonable in his
>pricing. After the wetsanding and buffing, the cars turn out very slick. I
>have had nothing but good luck using him, but then he knows the price
>ranges that I want to stay in, and also the standard to whick I like the
>work to be done.

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org