Re: ..NOW [oil type]

Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/8/2001 8:22:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> jody@scirocco8v.com writes:
>
> << Anyone have any
>  experience with it? What type of oil do you all use? >>
>
> I have been using Mobil One I think it is 15/50 or 20/50, something with a 50
> in it.... <snip>

I too switched from 'what ever' to Mobil One. I am in temperate
California and use 15w50 full synth. If it got much colder than 30+-40F
then I'd be using a lower weight.

Semi Synth is only a bit better than regular Dyno oil btw. (In fact at
least one manufacturer selling synth was found to be not full synth
after all. Fraud).

Leaks can happen when you switch to synth as it has a better chance to
clean old grunge away. Consider that the seals on your car are over 15
years old now, Mine are too- 84 GTI 1.8 block in the 81 Roc.

Once the clean oil gets at the old tired seals they are found to be
dryer than if bathed in oil and can leak. This was apparently much worse
when the new oils were introduced but they have since added additives to
help re'plump' the seals so leaks may still seep a bit, for awhile,  but
not gush.

8 valvers are advised to switch the leaky valver cover gasket (two piece
made of a small bit of rubber and mostly cork) to the Corrado seal with
new studs. Lessens leaks, is reusable, and last longer.

And as is true, new oil is better than old oil so change it.

[Note: Just ordered some Movies off of Amazon - Mononoke Hime & the Cell
(one of my favorites combined w/ WTF splurge) Anywho- I had to call the
800# to work out something and the guy I spoke with was just going to
pick up an A3 Jetta this week. I started telling him all the things he
might want to do, (without disparaging the A3) and he said "yeah,
replacing the suspension was what all my friends said to do...  :), and
I was talking to him about changing AALLLLLL the fluids in the car upon delivery.

Which returns me to my point- once you get a 'new to you' car you should
replace ALL the fluids; Oil, Brake, Trans, Coolant, etc.

Thems my thinks, my fingers are tired now,
TBerk