4K vs 2H

Well, I guess you can chalk my 4Ks (I've got quite a few) and 7A's (which
use the same final drive) up to grey area.  They definitely have a 3.94
final drive.

ETKA tells us the 2H used 020 409 143 N (63/16=3.9375) while the 4K and 7A
used 020 409 143 Q (67/17=3.9412)

By contrast, the FN used the 020 409 143 F (74/19=3.8947.)

I surprised by your statement, as evidence suggests that in 84 VW moved
away from the 3.89 final drive (by dropping the FN economy transmission)
in favour of the 3.94 final drive (used in the 4+e 7A.)

The big difference between the 2H and the 4K is the .91 fifth in the 2H vs
the .89 fifth in the 4K, and of course, that the 2H uses the old style
case that cannot be used in an A2.

Drew

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Scott Williams wrote:

> Drew wrote:
> > Scott, I'm confused by your statement below.  The 2H and the 4K both have
> > 3.94 final drives, last time I checked.
>
> Nope, VW changed the gearing for 1984 to a slightly less revvy ratio for
> fuel economy reasons. The 2H came with 3.94 and a .91 5th gear whereas the
> 4K had a 3.89 and .89. I recall that Chris DeLong broke some 2H and 4Ks open
> and found similar (but not the same) components. So, perhaps there is some
> grey area here. Still, my collection of fine 020 transmissions bears
> evidence to the differences that I've spoken about.l
>
> > However, both transmissions AFAIK came with 90 mm
> > cv flanges, but should be easily upgradable to 100 mm CVs.
>
> You know what?... As sure as I am on the first points, I could be wrong
> here... I forget. My understanding was that the Rabbit GTIs came with bigger
> drive shafts than the more pedestrian A1 chassis cars. Given that there are
> only 90mm and 100mm shafts out there, this would make the GTI a 100mm car.
> But this is just supposition.
>
> Anyone want to make a factual claim about this?
> ______________________________
> Scott F. Williams
> Account Manager
> GENUiTY - Eastern Region
> 1 Liberty Plaza, 20th Floor
> New York, NY 10006
> Voice: 212. 416.1745
> Fax: 212.416.1702
> scott.williams@genuity.com

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca