RE: 16V transaxles, was Re: now: torque is good - was Re: 50 mm vs40 mm intake

Drew wrote:
> Scott, I'm confused by your statement below.  The 2H and the 4K both have
> 3.94 final drives, last time I checked.

Nope, VW changed the gearing for 1984 to a slightly less revvy ratio for
fuel economy reasons. The 2H came with 3.94 and a .91 5th gear whereas the
4K had a 3.89 and .89. I recall that Chris DeLong broke some 2H and 4Ks open
and found similar (but not the same) components. So, perhaps there is some
grey area here. Still, my collection of fine 020 transmissions bears
evidence to the differences that I've spoken about.l

> However, both transmissions AFAIK came with 90 mm
> cv flanges, but should be easily upgradable to 100 mm CVs.

You know what?... As sure as I am on the first points, I could be wrong
here... I forget. My understanding was that the Rabbit GTIs came with bigger
drive shafts than the more pedestrian A1 chassis cars. Given that there are
only 90mm and 100mm shafts out there, this would make the GTI a 100mm car.
But this is just supposition.

Anyone want to make a factual claim about this?
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager
GENUiTY - Eastern Region
1 Liberty Plaza, 20th Floor