Re: 50 mm vs 40 mm intake

>When I wrote about my upcoming trip for Holland, I
>received a request to bring home a 50 mm intake
>manifold. I was ignorant of the specific advantages
>this would give to Americanized VWs. Then I remembered
>reading somthing about this in Greg Raven's book. This
>version was written when the 16v motor was just
>getting here. Raven writes about how VW sent examples
>of the 16v motor to VOA. VOA noticed that peak
>horsepower was somewhere between 6500 to 7000 rpm. VOA
>opined this was next to useless in the US, where we
>have some great  highways, but are discouraged from
>Autobahn type speeds. The result was that VW switched
>to the 40 mm intake, which simultaneously increased
>low-end torque, and decreased top-end horsepower.
>
>This makes sense, which leads me to the question: is
>switching to the 50 mm intake really worth it for
>American drivers?

You have come to your senses on this too, eh? ;-)  The
answer most of the time, is no, it's not worth it.  For
the obvious reason you have pointed out.  HP is for
bragging, but you drive (and feel) torque.

>I rarely get over 80 mph, not
>because I like it that way, but because there are too
>many people in the way, and some of them might have
>badges. My driving life consists mostly of trying to
>get out of crowds into clean air. Agility and torque
>seem important in getting away from those clumped
>platoons of cars.

The 50mm manifold is perfect for racing, but not the hot
ticket for driving in traffic.  Ask someone that switched
from a 40 to 50, and get them to answer the question about
drivability honestly...I have, and their cars have become
quite doggy around town, and in most average driving conditions,
but they scream out on the highway.  Whatever.

>Perhaps with the less constricted exhaust system I
>will soon install the 50 mm intake will be more
>viable? Also I saw somthng about European exhaust
>camshafts. Here I am ignorant as well. TIA for your input.

I think that you need a big engine, as built as possible,
to take good advantage of a 50mm manifold, IMO.  And
there's no such thing as a euro spec exhaust camshaft, it's
the same as the US version.

>=====
>Jorel Jackson

==Brett