Re: 50 mm vs 40 mm intake

At 12:46 AM -0500 2/25/01, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:
>The 50mm manifold is perfect for racing, but not the hot
>ticket for driving in traffic.  Ask someone that switched
>from a 40 to 50, and get them to answer the question about
>drivability honestly...I have, and their cars have become
>quite doggy around town, and in most average driving conditions,
>but they scream out on the highway.  Whatever.

OK, I'll answer honestly :)

I put the big manifold on a stock 1.8 16v, no other mods save a Supersprint
header.  Honestly - it didn't make that big a difference.  Took away a tiny
bit on the low end, gave it back and then a tiny bit more on the top end.
Net result was that it was barely worse around town, but somewhat better on
the highway.  Really the coolest thing about it was the sound :)