Re: 50 mm vs 40 mm intake

In a message dated 2/21/01 6:06:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jorel140@yahoo.com writes:

When I wrote about my upcoming trip for Holland, I
received a request to bring home a 50 mm intake
manifold. I was ignorant of the specific advantages
this would give to Americanized VWs. Then I remembered
reading somthing about this in Greg Raven's book. This
version was written when the 16v motor was just
getting here. Raven writes about how VW sent examples
of the 16v motor to VOA. VOA noticed that peak
horsepower was somewhere between 6500 to 7000 rpm. VOA
opined this was next to useless in the US, where we
have some great  highways, but are discouraged from
Autobahn type speeds. The result was that VW switched
to the 40 mm intake, which simultaneously increased
low-end torque, and decreased top-end horsepower.

This makes sense, which leads me to the question: is
switching to the 50 mm intake really worth it for
American drivers?  I rarely get over 80 mph, not
because I like it that way, but because there are too
many people in the way, and some of them might have
badges. My driving life consists mostly of trying to
get out of crowds into clean air. Agility and torque
seem important in getting away from those clumped
platoons of cars.

Perhaps with the less constricted exhaust system I
will soon install the 50 mm intake will be more
viable? Also I saw somthng about European exhaust
camshafts. Here I am ignorant as well. TIA for your input.

It isn't just high speed, but high RPM's. Meaning, when you're at higher RPM
at lower speeds that you would notice a difference.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)