Re: Question: IDing cruise control

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, RoccoPhil wrote:

> I have never seen a cruise control on an A1 or A2, so I don't know what they
> look like.  I also do not have programmable wipers on my 85 rocco, so I
> don't know what that looks like either.  However, I've seen some stalks in
> junkyards with a pushbutton on the end of the stalk that says SET.  I assume
> that's programmable wipers?  If so, how difficult to put into a rocco?  What
> is needed?

Well I'm not an expert, but i did spend last weekend outin the yard trying
to decide if I wanted to put cruise control on the rocco for the long
commutes (50-60mi each way) if my wife lives here in GA. What I found was
rather interesting.

I had heard of people on the list talking about a yellow box under the
dash. Well I think I found a mk2 (8v) with stock cruise control.
Description.
left stalk has set resume accle switch on ond of it.
has a 4wire connection to a molex plug that attaches to a slightly larger
harness. this harness goes in two directions about 4 wires go under hood
and about 8 more go over to the passenger side of the car.(this section of
wireing harness was extrememly difficult to remove. (read I cut the power
mirror wire on the one in the yard. ( and I had the dash off)
 under the glove box there is a silver box with some german writing and part numbers on it.
 I am assuming that this is the brain of the cruise control.
there are two switches that are attached the steerng column mount. one for
the brake and one for the clutch. (when opend disconnects the CC)

Under the hood there is a box that has several vaccum lines attached to it
and i think 4 wires.
this attaches to a vacuum actuated plunger fed by the vacuum box previous
mentioned. This plunger attaches to the throttle control.

Oh and BTW the REALLY interestig part was the Audi next to it had the same
box, vacumm controller and plunger. as the 8v rocco did!!!