RE: Let there be light

> Euro lights are just that, the headlights the cars
> came with stock in
> Europe. They are not technically legal in the US,
> because back in the
> '80s the US DOT felt H4 halogen lights were too
> bright, so would
> blind oncoming drivers, since then American cars
> have started using
> H4 halogen lights, so now the DOT thinks they are
> just fine, but
> still prohibits them on older cars. That said, most
> places don't care
> about euro lights, and I have not personally ever
> known anyone who
> got a ticket or had a problem getting the car
> inspected due to them.
> Most people agree it is better to set up new wires
> and some fuses and
> relays when installing euro lights, however, I have
> seen many people
> who ran euro lights without the relays, and without
> incident, though
> the common belief is that lights hooked up this way
> do not burn as
> bright, and have a higher chance of burning out your
> headlight
> switch.

I have the "big" euro H4 lights on my 1982 Scirocco. I
have not relayed them (yet). They are dimmer than I
want them to be, but I think this is more a function
of bad/old wiring - common on the 65amp cars (they
were dim with the stock lights). The stock lights are
much brighter on my 1985 Scirocco (90amp alt and
better wiring).

I've that a few folks have been ticketed by a
cantankerous cop in California, but that's about it.

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)