Re: 4k transmission...

I have seen in a manual (maybe Bentley, maybe Haynes, maybe ?) that the 4K
only came in the 83/84 GTI's but I have found a few in the 83-85 Sciroccos
and heard that there was a Jetta that it came in but overall they aren't
very common.  As far as what to do next, in the racing world I have heard
that the 4K with a bolt kit, Quaife, and 6spd kit thrown at it is the dream
trans.  I would love to do this someday but wonder if the 4Ks will disappear
by the time I get the money to do it, let alone  finding a good 6spd kit
anymore (maybe EMsport will follow through with their plans?).  As far as
the comparison between the 16v trans, I believe the 16v trans (AGB) were
built a little tougher with the larger input shaft (thus different clutch)
and the 100mm flanges but the flanges are swappable and who knows how much
tougher the larger input shaft is??  I really like my AGB but once in a
while I subconciously look for 6th gear when on the freeway (don't know why,
never had one?).  The gearing is about perfect for the 16v powerband but I
have also heard/experienced that the 4K on either an 8v or a 16v is like an
engine upgrade because of the close gears.  So, you really can't go wrong
either way (AGB or 4K) but if you plan on doing the 6spd upgrade the gearing
in the 4K is perfect for adding a cruising or overdrive gear.  HTH!!

Dave