Two Questions for the guru's

Title: Two Questions for the guru's

Question #1:

  What do the proportioning valves on a 16V look like?

    I have a set that are supposed to be from a 16V (adding rear discs) and they look very similar to the ones on my '84 with drums.  How can you tell the difference?  And are they actually required?  I would suspect they are, but I have had people tell me you don't really need them, but my thoughts would be that the disc would need greater pressure than the drums.

Question #2:

   I had a look at this '75 that was offered as "very clean no rust". well, it looked good from the outside, except someone chopped the roof off.

  It is in the middle of a convertible conversion it looks like.  Not a bad job on the trunk end, and they welded a cabrio b-pillar roof tie to keep the b-pillars nice and tight.  But I was wondering about the integrity of the front windshield.  It is a very interesting looking car now.  Very interesting concept, but I am worried about the stress on the front window, as these cars tend to flex (if my memory serves me right) when they have a full roof.  Any opinions here?  Would it be possible to weld up a nice support system, or is the car really toast?

Cory