Re: Two Questions for the guru's

Two Questions for the guru'sHello,

you can chop the whole roof - no problem for the windshield.

but a solid frame must be welded into the floorpan,
two beams running from the front to the rear wheelwells
and a beam between the rear wheelwells.
front upper & lower stressbar is also mandatory of course.

you can see the sidebeam on my website
www.Scirocco2.de/hornstein.htm
on the picture where the door is open.

The car is exactly 60kg heavier than a usual 16v.
The center of gravity moved a bit down as the additional weight is
placed very low and is about equally spread on the geometry of the chassis.

Of course it can't be as stiff as a closed Scirocco is,
but it is still a very good ride and the car doesn't have any problems
with the installed 140 HP at all. In fact I'm heading for more....
The suspension shouldn't be too stiff, I use shortened original 16V springs
together with yellow KONIS.

It's much fun to drive.

friendly Greetings
Dirk

Question #2:
   I had a look at this '75 that was offered as "very clean no rust". well, it looked good from the outside, except
someone chopped the roof off.
  It is in the middle of a convertible conversion it looks like.  Not a bad job on the trunk end, and they welded a
cabrio b-pillar roof tie to keep the b-pillars nice and tight.  But I was wondering about the integrity of the front
windshield.  It is a very interesting looking car now.  Very interesting concept, but I am worried about the stress on
the front window, as these cars tend to flex (if my memory serves me right) when they have a full roof.  Any opinions
here?  Would it be possible to weld up a nice support system, or is the car really toast?
Cory