Re: Two Questions for the guru's

>From: "Langford, Cory" <Cory.Langford@icbc.com>
>Question #1:
>
>   What do the proportioning valves on a 16V look like?

The thing to do would be to get the part#'s from ETKA and check what you've
got. They look similar, if not identical, to the rear-drum-brake ones. If
you're installing rear brakes you should put in the proportioning valves.
Everything will hook up and you'll stop the car, but it won't be optimal
without the correct brake bias. You will probably be under-braking in the
rear. Better than locking up the rear, but you would have wasted your time
with the brake "upgrade"

>Question #2:
>
>    I had a look at this '75 snip<
>   It is in the middle of a convertible conversion it looks like.  Would it
>be possible to weld up a nice
>support system, or is the car really toast?

Get a hold of some old Rabbit Convertible sales sheets. They detail how the
Convertible was reinforced. Pretty hefty and it added a shitload of weight
to the car.
There are also companies that do conversions like this, they would be able
to tell you what to do. Dirk also has a Mk2 'vert that was professionally
done. He could shed some light.
I would be _very_ skeptical of a job like this that was started and then
just dropped. Seems like a half-assed attempt to me, and that's plain scary.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8
87 Scirocco 16V
90 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V (tomorrow, baby)
For direct reply: jonas@metabolex.com

http://www.geocities.com/scirocco2l8v