Re: [tech] knock sensor CisE... high idle... bad mileage... etc...

DAN wrote:

> Can a bad knock sensor have anything to do with my 16V
> idling too high once it is warmed up?

I have an A2 GTI 8v 10:1 with the same high idle and poor mpg, but it is intermittent.

> I noticed
> pinging under heavy load and looked at the sensor
> which has a cracked cover(never been off the block)
> and the wire is totally deteriorated.  I'm also down
> to 24mpg.

Sometimes (but only sometimes) I am getting 30 mpg+ on the hiway @ 80
mph or so, other times I average only 24-26.5 per tankful. My sensor
housing isn't cracked that I can tell but the cover on the wire is
deteriorated too, like yours.

> I just can't seem to get this beotch
> running perfect anymore and haven't figured out why.
> The 02 sensor is fairly new as well as plugs, cap and
> rotor.  I haven't noticed any vacuum leaks... <snip>==
> Dan May - Greensboro NC

I _do_ know that others have had success with releasing the sensor and
retorquing it to spec with a good torque wrench, this has led to
reduction in false positive reading, also it sounds like you are pinging
which means the thing isn't doing it's job of retarding the ignition.

A new sensor might be the next thing you & I purchase [both :) & :(  ],
It's funny- when I fill up and the gas is cold, cold, cold and the tank
is full, it runs great. This also leads me to believe fuel system
pressure is partly to blame because I _know_ I have poor transfer pump
issues; either the pickup is faulty and/or the pump is worn and tiered.

Either way there _is_ a way to return to the glory days of 100+ HP, and
I will see that day.

gl,
TBerk
Less than two months to ND/Cincy.  tick, tick, tick.....