RE: Why do I keep wrecking speakers?

6X9 were really a very bad design to begin with you take a round speaker and
push it from the center (where speaker force comes from) and the whole
speaker move equally. Now take your 6X9 and push again from the center and
you will notice that the middle moves nice and easy but the extreme edges do
not move as much (actually they physically can't) This was a GM design dated
back to the early asshole cars (CRUMMMAROWS)This is not your problem though
you have a problem with noise (might not be noise to you but to the
speaker). It might even be what you want to hear. But too much noise to a
speaker cause the wires that make up your coil to separate because of heat.
I have a set of Boston pro series that would hold your head unit all day
(then again I want $300 for em) They are a 5 1/4 and dome tweet with
matching crossovers. You best thing you could do is to buy a cross over
matched pair and a separate amp. Think of it this way go to a reputable
audio shop and look at a 35X4 amp and you will see (if it a good one) that
it alone is about four times the size of you head unit. WHY IS THIS? you
might say.....well its as simple as this......your head unit has whats
called a low class amplifier...in a nut shell what that means is if you feed
it a signal it will put out X number of watts (rated Peak to Peak voltage at
16V most of the time). Well you know your car does not make 16V. So you are
under powering your amplifier circuit which in turn cause heat distortion
which it turn from that causes problem to your speakers. NOW you might say
why did you tell me then to look at a separate amp. Well if you ever have a
blown up cheap amp open it and look at it. Almost 3/4 of the amp is the
power supply (part that supplies the amp with its power....you do not take
14.2 volts and make music from it believe it or not). It takes your 14.X
volts and throws it way up around sometimes 70-80 volts (depending on your
amp maybe more I have one that bumps up to about 130V) It does all this with
transformers and rectifiers (pieces parts) These take the heat that your
speakers are now taking and create CLEAR AND CLEAN sound to your speakers.
The separate amp most of the time is a higher class amp able to filter out
the harmful noise that a regular head unit will produce. When you go to buy
an amp size usually reflects wattage in another words if it says 600 watts
on it and looks the size of a cigarette pack it can't be so......head units
are also rated allot of times with a duration cycle figured into there
equation....such as a 35X4 amp inside a car stereo might be designed to be
on for four minutes and off for ten (yes they are actually rating like
this). But a separate amp usually does not have this type of ratings.

BTW you are probably deleting this because I am sure most people this it was
not useful since it came from this address.