Why do I keep wrecking speakers?

I am wrecking speakers.

The previous owner cut holes in the rear package tray to fit 6X9 speakers.  The ones that I got with the car rattled a bit playing low frequency tones.  So, I go and get Wal-Mart's finest 6X9 Pioneer 3-way speakers.  They sound great, but about 6 months later I manage to blow them out.  (darn Beastie Boys CD)

OK, I says, I'll order some better ones.  I find some Blaupunkt speakers that are ratted for 80 watts.  Since my receiver is ratted at 35 per channel, I figured I'll have a decent cushion of power capacity.  Guess I was wrong.

I suspect that the oval shape is not as rugged as a conventional round speaker.

Questions:

What should I look for to get the same sound range as the 3-way's but have some durability?

Do I need a few different speakers to do this? (separate small, medium, and large sizes?)

How much should I look to spend?  I'd like to spend less than $200 for the whole mess.

Thanks,

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/