Re: Why do I keep wrecking speakers?

Daniel Brideau wrote:

> I am wrecking speakers.
>
> The previous owner cut holes in the rear package tray to fit 6X9 speakers.  The ones that I got with the car rattled a bit playing low frequency tones.  So, I go and get Wal-Mart's finest 6X9 Pioneer 3-way speakers.  They sound great, but about 6 months later I manage to blow them out.  (darn Beastie Boys CD)
>
> OK, I says, I'll order some better ones.  I find some Blaupunkt speakers that are ratted for 80 watts.  Since my receiver is ratted at 35 per channel, I figured I'll have a decent cushion of power capacity.  Guess I was wrong.

It's not all about power. There is overall wattage and there is cleanly
driven drivers from a source with with low distortion. I believe you are
driving the speakers to death by distortion.

Consider an amp to power the speakers, a head unit that provides low
power outputs and some decent speakers.

> I suspect that the oval shape is not as rugged as a conventional round speaker.
>
> Questions:
>
> What should I look for to get the same sound range as the 3-way's but have some durability?
> Do I need a few different speakers to do this? (separate small, medium, and large sizes?)

Better in terms of separation of duty, (separates). can be pricier than
all in one speakers. Not ness., but desirable.

> How much should I look to spend?  I'd like to spend less than $200 for the whole mess.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan Brideau

You can make a decent system with $200(US). You can even reuse some of
your existing equipment most likely. Does your radio have line level, or
low level outputs? This 'signal only, no power' outputs would drive an
amp (with suitable inputs to match) better than having the Radio's amp
drive the speakers directly. Also, you could get two medium amps, one
for the front & another for the back to keep the load on any one amp reduced.

Speakers from K(Wal)-Mart are not expected to last long if you intend to
drive them at a average to loud level. (Blanket statement.)

Look for poly cone materials & rubber (not foam) surrounds, pay
attention to the RMS value for wattage range not the Max power (which is
a peak, momentary rating). Think small (8" or larger) sub to be used in
addition tot he 6x9s, you can send the lows to it, leaves the job of the
mids to highs for the regular speakers. Maybe a Bazooka or something.
(Read: Cleaner, more efficient sound reproduction. Oooowwww).

Uh, I could prattle on in my rambling fashion but you might email me
directly if you want more details.

TBerk