Re: New Dimension Show...........LONG!

The show was awesome!!  After the awards were handed out, I went up to
Michelle and congratulated her (and the ND team) for pulling off a great
show.  They really took the show up from what it has been.  The only bummer
thing was the heat, but there's nothing you can do about that!  We had a few
open spots in the Scirocco area, so we could have had at least six more
'roccs there!  But we still had an undeniable presence.  Kudos for everyone
who showed.  Everyone else, come show next year!

There was one light blue '82 that didn't enter the show because he thought
his paint didn't match.  But that car was SWEET!!!  It was the best looking
blue interior I've ever seen.  The plaid seats have never looked better.  I
think Doug got some good shots of this car.  I didn't think an '82 existed
that looks this clean.  I spotted that car from across the street and knew
it was something special.

The drive up on Saturday was pretty fun.  We made great time to Monterrey,
but then our time fell off after that.  We hit some knarly traffic just
outside San Jose and it seemed to add an hour.  Ken and Daun were doing
great camera tricks while passing on the right and left.  I'm sure we got
great footage of Hwy 1.

Randy B. made a great entrance at the hotel!  He was trying to show us how
the SP 8000's don't stick as well as the AVS's.  He came roaring up the back
row of the parking lot (there were no other cars back there) and he got
going fast enough that he couldn't make the turn at the end of the lot!  The
asphalt was really smooth and slippery.  He hit the brakes lightly, locked
up the front right, released and tried again, but then all wheels locked up.
  He just held the wheel straight and released the brakes as he neared the
curb.  Luckily his air dam cleared the curb and he didn't bend any rims.
There was an embankment just past the curb with lots of bark and this kept
him from going into the street.  What an entrance!  Gave us a really good
laugh.

We split up the caravan for the return trip.  Some of us wanted to get back
sooner because we're working today, driving to San Diego or flying to
Germany at 7AM.  The return group I was in consisted of Doug, Shawn, James,
Ken and me.  We gassed up in Gilroy which turned out to be hell.  We thought
we'd get gas and food.  The gas station was packed, but we managed to get
in.  After I filled up, I backed into a spot near the air/water dispensor.
Then I went inside to get some liquid.  As I'm paying for my beverages, I
see someone's radiator spraying right next to my car!  I run outside so I
can move my car away from the spraying antifreeze.  I manage to get it moved
a couple of spaces away from the spray so I can wash the coolant off my
paint.  This brain surgeon decided that his car was overheating so he pulls
next to me (since I'm at the water machine) and he pulls the radiator cap
while the car is running!  As I'm cussing him out, he's just looking stupid
because he doesn't understand that coolant and paint don't mix.  He's
running his beat up honda accord with the coolant cap off and coolant
boiling out while he's pouring water into the radiator.  I have no idea what
he was trying to accomplish.  I pulled the hose away from him so I could put
water in my bucket.  I don't see any paint damage from the anti freeze
because I got the car washed down right away.  Next we tried to park at the
hotel next door and walk to the In-N-Out, but some Nazi hotel bitch came out
saying that she was going to have our cars towed.  So we decided it was time
to get the fuck out of Dodge!  The aforementioned brain surgeon almost
backed his POS honda into me as I was trying to get out of that gas station.
  It was definitely a relief to get back on the freeway after that
adventure.

We pretty much hauled ass the rest of the way back.  The total trip back to
LA took six hours with three stops.  Going up the grapevine, Ken and I were
in front and we really hauled!  We used the truck lanes a lot because people
in cars suck; they stay to the left and won't get over so you can pass.  We
were doing 70-80 the whole way except when we had to slow down to get around
something.  Once I had to shift to second gear!  I love my 16v.  It really
pulled up the hill like a mofo.  The rest of the pack fell behind because of
the traffic and it took 10 miles for them to catch up.

With all the hard driving on the way back, my mileage was 29.11 MPG.  Gotta
love that 16v!  That's mostly 80 MPH driving using the smaller throttle
opening. I used the larger throttle opening a lot going up the grapevine and
every once in a while passing cars.  All the while I had a lot of wheel
bearing noise.  I've got to get it checked out this week.  I'm really happy
I didn't have any real trouble with it during the trip.  Time for an oil
change and A/C recharge.  I was thinking as we were washing our cars
Saturday night, that our cars are really lucky that we own them!

I'm pretty tired, but it was a fun trip!  Next year is going to be really
fun!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v  (debugged this morning)
'78 Champagne Edition