Faulty E-brake / Caliper question

Hey all, my e-brake performance has been continously deteriorating over
the last few months on my '88 16v (disc brakes), so this weekend I
finally had a look at it.  At first I thought one of my cables had
stretched, but it turns out that the part where the cable attaches to on
the caliper was stuck in the "engaged" (brake ON) position.  Even in
this position, the caliper piston was retracted so the wheel could spin
freely.  If I manually "reset" it by tapping the part to the "brake off"
position, then engaging the e-brake, the piston does not move in
response to the cable movement.

SO - it looks like my rear caliper is shot, no?  What are my options at
this point - can my old caliper be rebuilt, or is it a sealed unit?  If
it can be rebuilt, what is the procedure for fixing the e-brake portion?
If not, how much can I expect to pay for a new caliper (or one from a
yard)?

Damn, maybe this is the time for that Corrado brake conversion :-)

TIA for the help,

-tim