Re: 86 Scirocco

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
> Sit in your car and turn the key to the first position, Listen very closely.
> Do you here a sound that goes Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. for a couple of seconds?  If
> not, I would suggest a fuel system problem such as the Fuel Pump relay or
> possible the fuel pump itself.  Good luck

I'll jump in here with some similar problems...

My car (86 8V) will generally make a relatively loud noise from the
transfer pump area (where is the main fuel pump in relation to the
transfer pump?). When I say relatively loud, I mean a low "waaaahh" sound
for a couple seconds, loud enough to be pretty noticeable. I don't
actually know another Scirocco owner personally, so I can't say how normal
this is, but a mechanic I know says it sounds like the transfer pump may
be dying. I'll test it when I get a chance. Does this sound right (no pun
intended)?

A much rarer occurence is that the transfer pump occasionally doesn't make
a sound at all (usually after starting and stopping the car immediately,
and then turning on the ignition). No noise at all, which is odd, since
the frequency valve in the engine is also active for the two seconds that
the pump is supposed to be primed. Does the sound like the fuel pump relay
should be replaced?

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html