Re: 'rocc won't start

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Zach Vrooman wrote:

> Greetings, listers.
>
> My rocc won't start. Grr. Here's what's happened so far:
>
> Tested coil and module. Coil was fine, module tested bad. Replaced
> module (5 year warranties rule), got spark (real good spark too, I
> zapped myself. Oops.) Still nothing. Spark is going to all 4 cylinders,
> so the timing belt's ok.
> [...]
> I tried starting it again. I cranked it a few times
> and it started AGAIN!!! It ran rough till about 2000 rpms, then smoothed
> out. OK, this is kewl, just needs to run, I thought. I took my foot off
> the gas, it stalled immediately. I cranked it again, it started again,
> and still wouldn't idle. Then, it stalled again, and will not start. It
> turns over, but will not fire. WTF???

Fuel starvation?

Check that the air flow sensor is sitting properly (Bentley).

Is enough fuel being delivered? Check that the transfer pump is pumping
and the fuel pump is pumping (I hate dealing with open fuel systems, but
this sounds like a fuel delivery problem, since you have spark and seem
to have okay timing; have you checked to make sure timing is set at 6 BTDC
or thereabouts?)

Is the fuel filter fresh? Could be low system fuel pressure or high
control pressure (problem with warm-up regulator). Check fuel pressures
(something I should do too).

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html