[ELECTRICAL] 16V Alternator Problem

hey, everyone the battery light on my alternator intermittently goes on.
I've noticed it go on over 3K rpms.  I was on the freeway when it went on.  I
made an exit as soon as I could but the light went away.  I popped the hood
to check the belt if it's still intack and it is.  I get back on the freeway
and once the car made it past 3K... same thing.  light come's back on.  I
slowed down a bit to under 3K and it disappeared.  Well, I took a chance
driving it home (25 mins on the freeway) and ignored the light.  I made it
home fine.  Anything I should check for before taking it to the shop?  TIA

Mike

[NON-ROC POST]The sunroof on my sister's Golf is stuck open on the driver
side.  It tilts up and down fine but it just would not close on the driver
side.  I noticed a broken piece (silver color) on the track.  I'm assuming
this might be the culprit.  I've fixed my sunroof before on my Scirocco but
I'm not familiar w/ these models.  I do not have a copy of the Bentley and I
don't think Hayes has one for the Golf.  Anyway, if anyone out there has made
repairs on their own... please email me.  I'd like to get this fix asap.
Thanx.