Re: [ELECTRICAL] 16V Alternator Problem

SII2L16V@aol.com wrote:

> hey, everyone the battery light on my alternator intermittently goes on.
> I've noticed it go on over 3K rpms.  I was on the freeway when it went on.  I
> made an exit as soon as I could but the light went away.  I popped the hood
> to check the belt if it's still intack and it is.  I get back on the freeway
> and once the car made it past 3K... same thing.  light come's back on.  I
> slowed down a bit to under 3K and it disappeared.  Well, I took a chance
> driving it home (25 mins on the freeway) and ignored the light.  I made it
> home fine.  Anything I should check for before taking it to the shop?

yes, check to make sure the belts are tight enough.  check all of them.
the bottom belt drives the water pump and the power steering.  the water
pump drives the A/C (if you have it) and that drives the alternator.
even if the alt belt is tight, the water pump/power steering belt may be
slipping.  this may be happening when you turn your A/C on?  or when it
rains?  worth checking out anyway before you spend any money.

chris
86 16V scirocco