Re: 16V performance

Craig Williams wrote:

> Jeff says that once you start porting & polishing, it doesn't matter what
> head you start with because you're completely changing it.

I'm being told (again) that the 2.0 head has more material to work with, and
is the desirable starting point for a port job.. this from Ron Wood this
morning.  He sends heads off to Collin all the time for work... this is
consistent with what I've heard in the past, with the exception of the
EC article that said that porting a 2.0 head can result in hitting
water jackets ( ).

> Collin will tell you that bigger doesn't automatically equal better.

Ron is of the same opinion.

> My advice is to talk to Collin about it. Tell him what you want to
> accomplish and he'll help tell you where to start. Also, he's the only one
> to do the work. He's a flow bench master and won't just go in and make the
> biggest ports possible because it "looks" good.

Collin will definitely do mine.. Ron will have a couple of cores in over
the next few days and will ship one up for me.  Collin has been on vacation
in Alaska for 3 weeks but is due back the 5th.  Hopefully only a couple of
weeks after that I can have mine back.. :D

> Someday I'd love to have Collin really work the head, but it ain't cheap.

Yeah tell me about it!

BTW - Ron is trying to sell his rally car, and/or the motor.  Motor is VW
16V (mounted north/south in his Audi) putting out 380 "reliable" HP.. he's
asking $7k.  Imagine that in a 'rocco??  =:0

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0