16V performance

No, it's not another gasoline thread, SUV rant, or feel-good post about
some recent gathering.. it's real greasy Scirocco content!

Now that my car is all purtied up, I'm ready for some go-fast enhancements..

My car already has a 2L bottom end, but other than a K&N drop-in and TT 2.25"
exhaust, it's bone stock, right down to the 2L head.

What I'm planning to do - but I'm welcome to other suggestions - is to add
a euro intake cam, leave the stock exhaust cam, get a ported/polished head
through Ron Wood, work done by Collin of Techtonics, who still does this
stuff on the side while TT (mysteriously) no longer "officially" offers this
service.  Ron has a core head lying around, or so he thinks (those of you
who have been in his shop will know what that means!).  I'm not sure if it's
a 2.0 or 1.8 head.. I'll find out tomorrow.  The one other thing I might
do is replace my downpipe/cat with the TT high-flow piece that they sell
specifically for the 16V 'roc.. because I have a generic cat in place now
that may very well not flow worth beans..

My goal is to retain most or all of the bottom end grunt that the car has
as is.. thus the concept of only doing a euro intake cam.  If my goal
was more top end, then of course I could go more radical and do both
cams.  Or if you guys convince me, I still might go that route..  ;D

So my questions are:

1. Is my approach sound?  What would you do differently, given the same goal?

2. I have heard/read conflicting statements regarding the 1.8 vs. 2.0 head
issue.  EC recently wrote that porting a 2.0 head can result in "hitting
water jackets" because there isn't as much material there to work with.
I've also heard exactly the opposite - that if you're going to port a
head, the 2.0 is the preferred piece to work with, for exactly the opposite
reason.  Which is correct?  Which one would YOU want to start with?

3. Opinions on the cat issue?  Do I just leave it, given the considerable
expense of the TT solution, or is it apt to be a real source of bad
breathing as it is now?

My total budget could be as high as $3k IF necessary.  Any/all opinions
and suggestions welcomed!

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0