Re: 16V performance

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:34:32 -0700 Kevin Collins <kcollins1@socal.rr.com>
writes:

>So my questions are:
>
>1. Is my approach sound?  What would you do differently, given the
>same goal?

Sound. Use your resources available to you, just like your doing.
I know you probably dont want to dabble withthe tranny any but, if I had
your bucks, id do a few things more like add a quaife. IN A HEARTBEAT! I
cant remember if you have a lightened flywheel or not. Feel like you do,
but think not. To reach your goal, at the very least I would  install a
lightened flywheel. It will give back some low end torque that many feel
is lacking on the 16V. Having driven your 2.0L 16V, it  does not lack low
end power like the 1.8L 16v. Its got more low end than my 8V. Potterman
put a lightened flywheel in his 1.8L GTi. I drove (both street and autox)
his car before and after and it was a huge difference in his car. I cant
imagine what it will do to your car.
If you havent done it yet, at your next clutch job, install one. You will
not be displeased.

>2. I have heard/read conflicting statements regarding the 1.8 vs. 2.0
>head issue.  EC recently wrote that porting a 2.0 head can result in
"hitting
>water jackets" because there isn't as much material there to work with.
>I've also heard exactly the opposite - that if you're going to port a
>head, the 2.0 is the preferred piece to work with, for exactly the
opposite
>reason.  Which is correct?  Which one would YOU want to start with?

Go with a 1.8L head if at all possible. If not, you really wont notice a
big difference. There is just more potential with the 1.8L head.

>3. Opinions on the cat issue?  Do I just leave it, given the
considerable
>expense of the TT solution, or is it apt to be a real source of bad
>breathing as it is now?

I would go with a high flow cat & teh TT setup in your car just because
of the 2.0L thats in there. you could do less and it might not make a big
difference.

>My total budget could be as high as $3k IF necessary.  Any/all
>opinions and suggestions welcomed!

Kevin rolling in the bucks. Wish I had your problem.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!